The Sacristan’s responsibilities require that one arrive at least 15 minutes prior to Mass to perform the set-up instructions listed. This is especially true at the 5 p.m. Mass when it is possible that the entire instruction set must be completed. The majority of the set up will have already been completed before the 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Masses, which is accomplished after the preceding scheduled Mass per the instructions below.
Insure setup for Mass is complete:
- Refer to the “pictogram” instructions on credence table and place the following:
- Sacred vessels (Chalices & Ciboria) and sacred linens (Corporal & Purificators),
- Glass Lavabo (wash bowl) and terry-cloth hand towel,
- Large glass water pitcher and small glass water cruet,
- Tabernacle key, and
- Roman Missal (Sacramentary).
- Put acrylic Gospel Book stand in the center of the on Altar.
- Place small, white collection basket in pew where altar servers sit.
- Put the bells on step where servers will kneel.
- Check the ribbon placement in large red Lectionary and place unopened on Ambo.
- Install the battery in microphone pack at the Ambo; point the mic arm straight up.
- Insure the hand sanitizer on the credence table and bulletin tables contain gel.
- Place glass pitcher of wine and Ciborium (bowl with hosts) on gift table at the back of Church (see Set-up Instructions for Eucharist for description on amount of wine and quantity of hosts to be used at the various Masses).
- Put money basket, which is sometimes left in the Sacristy, by the gift table at the back of Church. Insure the tamper-evident plastic bag is in basket. Start to peel both ends of the peel-off tape.
Insure microphone power switch is “on” and the mute switch is positioned “up.”
Before Mass begins, insure the sound system power is on (this system is in the Sacristy).
Straighten the music hymnals on the long tables at the back of Church before and after Mass.
Monitor the arrival of scheduled ministers and find substitutes for any “no-shows.” (You may have to use the microphone to ask for volunteers.)
Remind the Greeters to count attendance, including choir and those presiding.
Insure the Eucharistic Minister have purified, then sanitized, the sacred vessels after Mass.
Insure the Collection contained in the plastic bag is placed in the safe after the 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. Masses. Do the same for 10 a.m. Mass if the tithe counter isn’t available.
Insure the Book of Gospels is brought back to the Sacristy after Mass.
Pick up trash, spoiled bulletins, etc. and forgotten or lost items. Check the Church, gathering space and cry room.
Setup for the next Mass following the 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. Masses.
Clear the Altar area and put away everything listed in number 1 above after the 10 a.m. Mass (except, the hand sanitizer which is the only item left on the credence table).
Turn off lights and ceiling fans in Church after each Mass, and turn off heat or air conditioning after 5 p.m. and 10 a.m. Masses. Check that the lights are off in the single-user bathrooms by conference room. (Note: the other bathrooms are controlled by auto-switches—they’ll turn off on their own).
Updated February 3, 2014