The sacrarium [pronounced \ sə-ˈkrer-ē-əm \] is a special sink found in the sacristy of most Catholic churches. The drain bypasses municipal sewer systems and runs straight down into the earth.
The basin often hides beneath a hinged cover. The sacrarium, or piscina, provides for the proper disposal of sacred substances.
For example, after Mass the vessels which held the Body and Blood of Christ are rinsed and cleansed there. In this way any remaining particles of Communion are washed into the earth.
The sacrarium has also been used for the disposal of other substances: old baptismal water, leftover ashes, and last year’s holy oils.
There was a time in history when the leftover consecrated wine was poured down the sacrarium, but today the Blood of Christ is consumed by the faithful, not discarded.
If the consecrated wine is ever spilled during the Mass, it is to be cleaned up with care. Accidents happen, and the instructions for Mass offer this procedure: The area should be washed, and the water poured down the sacrarium.
Likewise, if the consecrated host is spoiled or soiled that makes consumption impossible, the sacred body can be dissolved in water then poured down the sacrarium.
The presence of the sacrarium shows our reverent care for holy things. When materials designated for a sacred purpose have completed their service, we honor them even in their disposal. By returning our sacred substances to the earth beneath the church building, we honor them, the ground over which we worship, and the God who created them and consecrated them to nourish our faith. (9:36)
1. We are gearing up for Religious Education classes for this year and are in need of teachers for the following grades. 1st grade, 2nd grade for reconciliation, 5th & 7th grades. Please contact Cathy Davidson or call the Parish office if you are interested.
Monday, August 3
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Marvin Erpelding
Tuesday, August 4
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Maurice Breen
Wednesday, August 5
6:00 pm Mass, In Memory of Gene Steinkamp
Thursday, August 6
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Dolores Geneser
Friday, August 7
8:00am Mass, In Memory of Art Pottebaum
Saturday, August 8
5:00pm Mass, In Memory of Andy Simons
Sunday, August 9
10:00am Mass, For the people of Assumption
Monday, July 27
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Doris Crnkovich
Tuesday, July 28
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Mary Chiri
Wednesday, July 29
6:00 pm Mass, In Memory of Marie Jordan
Thursday, July 30
8:00 am Mass, For the people of Assumption
Friday, July 31
8:00am Mass, In Memory of Patricia Adams
Saturday, August 1
5:00pm Mass, For the people of Assumption
Sunday, August 2
10:00am Mass, In Memory of Steven Long
1. Please join us for Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament after morning Mass on Friday’s each week until 5pm. And on the 3rd Tuesday of each month @ 6pm.
2. Pick up a bulletin or read it on line thru the Church website regarding the Christ Our Life Conference. Options on how you can attend in person or virtually and for ticket information.
3. We will continue recording the Mass and uploading it to the Church website and we do ask that you continue to send in your tithing envelopes and ADA checks each week or drop off in the lock box’s that have been provided. Thank you!
1. A Baptismal Prep class is scheduled for July 26th at 1pm. This class in intended for new parents or those who have not taken this class within the past 3 years. Please call the Parish office to register. Thank you!
We wish to congratulate all of our graduating 8th graders, High School seniors and College students as you continue your education or enter into the work force. Please stand for Father Dominic to give you a special blessing
Monday, July 20
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Maurice Breen
Tuesday, July 21
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Jack Temme
Wednesday, July 22
6:00 pm Mass, or the people of Assumption
Thursday, July 23
8:00 am Mass, In Memory of Dillon Baker
Friday, July 24
8:00am Mass, In Memory of Florence Sweeney
Saturday, July 25
5:00pm Mass, In Memory of Elizabeth Conrad
Sunday, July 26
10:00am Mass, or the people of Assumption